On Sun, Nov 23, 2008 at 10:15:47PM +0000, Jurij Smakov wrote:
> The logic in reopen-console is the following:
> [… a very good analysis …]
> So, the problem is that reopen-console gives preference to the value
> in 'console handover' line, which is incorrect on sparc (refers to a
> real terminal console even if one is connecting through serial). If it
> is obvious, that sparc is unique that way, and it works correctly on
> other arches, the following (untested) patch might do the trick: […]

In order to implement this, I have tried to understand the kernel logic
by reading at the relevant part of its source code as I have not been
able to find any relevant documentation about all this.

Bastian mentioned the "console handover" message while the issue was
initally discussed, but I might just have been entirely wrong in my
understanding of its meaning.

> I'll try to ask around and see whether current console detection in
> reopen-console is correct for other arches.

It would be really great if you could come up with a definite answer on
this! :)

Cheers,
--
Jérémy Bobbio                        .''`.
[EMAIL PROTECTED]                    : :Ⓐ  :  # apt-get install anarchism