Package: apt-setup
Version: 1:0.53
Severity: important

Hi,

Thanks very much for including my rather last minute apt-setup patch to
add $codename-updates to sources.list when volatile is selected for >=
squeeze installs.

Unfortunately, the behaviour is somewhat suboptimal when an install is
performed using no network mirror, leading to malformed sources.list
entries as the relevant debconf entries are unset and there isn't a
default HTTP / FTP mirror entry to fall back on.

In itself this isn't an issue as the entries fail to validate and are
commented out as part of the install process, albeit with an annoying
warning message. However, it appears that some users are either
uncommenting the lines themselves, or doing so via tools such as
update-manager, and then filing bugs or raising queries on #debian when
the entries do not dtrt.

It would be good if we could make the behaviour in this case saner,
ideally as part of a squeeze point release. We could simply skip the
sources.list addition if no network mirror was selected, but I fear that
may simply swap the existing set of bugs / issues for a set of "I asked
for volatile but got no sources.list entry".

Regards,

Adam