On 2016-07-30, Martin Michlmayr wrote:
> bootscript/all/bootscr.uboot-generic uses bootz but arm64 requires
> booti.
>
> My idea was to copy bootscript/all/bootscr.uboot-generic to arm64 and
> replace bootz with booti:
>
> sed "s/bootz/booti/" bootscript/all/bootscr.uboot-generic >
> bootscript/arm64/bootscr.uboot-generic
>
> debian/rules copies all/* over before arm64/* so the latter would be
> used.

Are all arm64 boards only going to support booti and not bootz?

> Is there a better approach?

Could attempt to detect for bootz vs. booti (and maybe bootm?) in the
script, and use the appropriate one... I'm not sure if there are
platforms that support both methods, but on at least one version of
u-boot, it only had one or the other built in.

Alternately, have a uboot.booti and uboot.bootz (and uboot.bootm) as
script alternatives.

At that point, we might want to look into some sort of templating; on
several of the platforms it could basically re-use most of
uboot-generic, by setting compatibility variables for the old
versions.

With the recent odroid bootscript, I cut-and-pasted u-boot-generic into
it, adding some compatibility variables at the top, but the bulk of the
logic is identical.

Then there's also the possibility of using u-boot's EFI emulation, and
switching to grub with u-boot as a shim layer for boards that don't
support EFI natively...

live well,
  vagrant