Le Tue, Sep 06, 2016 at 09:18:58PM +0900, Charles Plessy a écrit :

> while working on preseeding D-I to make Cloud images, I found it a bit
> difficult to figure out the details of this and that debconf template that is
> listed in the preseed.txt example of the installation guide.  Therefore, I
> collated them in a single HTML page.

Thank you everybody for your positive feedback.

About the location of the page: Brian suggested a wiki, Philip and Cyril
suggested the installer manual, and Cyril reminded of d-i.debian.org.

Actually, before uploading on people.debian.org, I almost went for the wiki, in
order to have a cheap revision tracking, but I was a bit short of time and it
was easier for me to ouptut HTML than MoinMoin wiki syntax.  One argument
against the wiki is that this would suggest that the templates can be improved
by collaborative editing.  In general cases it is great, but here, the people
writing the templates need a good awareness of the constraints of screen
resolution, translation, and style that are very specific to D-I.

I think that outputing DocBook XML should be straightforward, and I like
Cyril's idea to have a curated version in the manual (I guess this means to
cherry-pick the most relevant templates).  Actually, I also considered
integration in the manual before calling for comments, but I could not figure
out how to integrate the translations, as the debconf PO files probably can not
be used directly on the XML-converted text.  Suggestions are welcome.

For the full version, d-i.debian.org is definitely a good idea.  Do I need to
ask to be added to the d-i group ?

Here are point-to-point answers that mostly serve as a kind of to-do list.

Le Tue, Sep 06, 2016 at 07:18:59PM +0100, Brian Potkin a écrit :

> Choices, Choices-C and Default isn't always filled in.

Indeed in some cases, they are empty in the Debconf templates and in that case
I will ignore them instead of leaving them blank.  In at least one case, the
contents were not parsed, for a reason that I did not have time to
troubleshoot.

Le Wed, Sep 07, 2016 at 05:15:50PM +0200, Philip Hands a écrit :

> I guess that adding links to the source of the package that contains
> each template would allow people to explore what difference setting a
> particular thing really makes (by looking at the scripts that use the
> value), which might make this more useful still.

This is a good idea, I will try to do it.

Le Wed, Sep 07, 2016 at 04:42:32PM +0100, Ian Campbell a écrit :

> Might be worth filtering out the non-question stuff, i.e. "text" and
> "error" types which AFAIK are the contents of various dialog boxes and
> not questions.

I will try to produce filtered and unfiltered versions.

Le Thu, Sep 08, 2016 at 12:37:15AM +0200, Cyril Brulebois a écrit :

> There are also '.templates*' files.

Good point, thanks.

Given the lack of speed of my reply to your suggestions, I hope that you will
not be surprised if my further progresses are not lightning-fast.  Of course,
anybody is welcome to make changes to the script, and if there is interest, I
can put it on collab-maint or any other place that would make sense.

Have a nice day,

Charles

--
Charles Plessy