Stanislaw Findeisen <fixpoint.combina...@gmail.com> writes:

> On 2017-06-19 03:48, Charles Chambers wrote:
>> Has anyone else tried to install 9.0 over WiFi yet?
>
> I have tried to install 9.0 on a new Dell Precision 5520, with an Intel
> WiFi Link 8265 card, and failed.
>
> The missing firmware files (as reported by the installer) seem to be:
>
> iwlwifi-8265-26.ucode
> iwlwifi-8265-25.ucode
> iwlwifi-8265-24.ucode
> iwlwifi-8265-23.ucode
> iwlwifi-8265-22.ucode
> iwlwifi-8265-21.ucode
> iwlwifi-8265-20.ucode
>
> Where does this list come from?!
>
> I was able to find the 21, 22 and 27 here:
> https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/firmware/linux-firmware.git/tree/
> , but providing them to the installer on a secondary USB stick doesn't
> help. The missing files list just shrinks to:
>
> iwlwifi-8265-26.ucode
> iwlwifi-8265-25.ucode
> iwlwifi-8265-24.ucode
> iwlwifi-8265-23.ucode
>
> After several minutes and repeating this step several times I sometimes
> manage to get through to the next step (I can see a list of WiFi
> networks, for example) but then the actual mirrors do not work ("mirror
> does not support the specified release" error, which is a network error
> as the URLs work on a different machine).
>
> I am confused with this, my understanding is that every single
> iwlwifi-8265-*.ucode file in itself is a full Intel 8265 firmware (with
> the number denoting the version number).

That's correct AFAIK.

> If this is not the case, then why is iwlwifi-8265-20.ucode no longer
> required after providing 21, 22 and 27?

The iwlwifi driver supports a range of firmware versions.  It tries to
load them all until one succeeds, starting with the highest supported
version.  You will see log messages for the missing versions, but these
can be safely ignored as long as a supported firmware is eventually
found.  The installer just reports the list of file names the driver
tries while probing for a supported firmware.

The driver in stretch does not support version 27, so providing it makes
no difference.  Providing version 22 makes the driver succeed at that
point and therefore not attempt to load any lower versions.  So you (and
the installer) don't see the requests for the lower versions.  Providing
version 21 along with version 22 is pointless, unless you plan to use an
older version of the driver which does not support version 22.

None of this should affect your ability to connect to the net as long as
there is at least one supported firmware version available.

Note that the different firmware versions do not necessarily exist even
if the driver tries to load them.  They represent different internal API
revisions, some which might never have been made public.  So there is no
point going hunting for iwlwifi-8265-26.ucode.  Use the
iwlwifi-8265-22.ucode as provided by the firmware-iwlwifi package (in
non-free).

Bjørn