After some good help, I've managed to bend the stable debian-installer into
compiling for the hppa arch.

There were a few changes made to the config files and debian rules files to
enable to an unofficial build based off my unofficial repo.

I am very thankful for the constructive advise given by Jose which was
priceless.

Thanks
Mike Hosken

>> On Tue, Jul 18, 2017 at 3:24 PM, Mike Hosken <mik...@csystems.co.nz> wrote:
>> Thank you for you assistance. I'll give these a try and get back to you.
>>
>> Mike Hosken
>>
>> Sent from my iPhone
>>
>> On 18/07/2017, at 22:32, Jose R R <jose....@metztli-it.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, Jul 17, 2017 at 1:20 PM, Mike Hosken <mik...@csystems.co.nz> wrote:
>>
>> Let's try this again.
>>

>> I am trying to build stable install images for HPPA. I have built 'sid'
>>
>> images previously from Debian ports.
>>

>> The troubles I'm having is when I build the installer -
>>

>> It says while building that my mirror appears invalid and will not use it.
>>

>> When using the git checkout it gives two errors while building. The invalid
>>
>> mirror and it's the wrong kernel, as in not the stable but testing.
>>

>> I am hoping someone can help me with these questions.
>>

>> Is there a git repo for the stable installer ?  If so how do I check it out
>>
>> As far as I know, git is only for unstable Debian-Installer (d-i)
>>
>> ? Or do I use the source package in stretch.
> *also*
> To wean out any potential Debian-Installer (d-i) dependencies
> errors/issues, please do as below commands:
>
> apt-get install debian-installer
> apt-get build-dep debian-installer
>
> then (if not already there) cd to your d-i directory created at your
> file system location where you executed:
> apt-get source debian-installer
>
> and do:
> dpkg-checkbuilddeps
>
> Install any dependencies output to your screen and...
>
> repeat above command until there are no more dependency issues.

> Additionally, please consider the use of a virtual machine where to
> test your images; it allows peeking inside the installer environment
> to check/verify what's going on. tty CTRL +ALT + F4 (in Linux/AMD64 --
> but I don't know in HPPA) will output useful info, giving you hints on
> what snags may prevent success of your d-i effort.
>>
>> If you are building on *and* for (stable) Stretch on HPPA,
>>
>> apt-get update
>> apt-get source -d debian-installer
>>

>> What changes do I need to make ( in the source code) to get Debian-Installer
>>
>> when building to trust my unofficial but signed repo to download the udebs
>>
>> etc.
>>
>> Please look in
>> d-i/build/config/common
>>
>> OR (dirty but works)
>>
>> If you are only downloading your kernel & modules you may do a hack in
>> source of:
>> < https://packages.debian.org/stretch/base-installer >
>> and rebuild the udeb(s) and place them under
>> d-i/build/localudebs/
>>
>> Might also work (have not tested) by
>>
>> doing a hack in source -- by adding your mirror to be listed:
>> < https://packages.debian.org/stretch/choose-mirror >
>> and rebuild the udeb(s) and place them under
>> d-i/build/localudebs/
>>
>> *Add* name of created UDEBs in proper format into list:
>>
>> d-i/build/pkg-lists/[directory image]/*cfg

> [...]

Mike Hosken

Sent from my iPhone