this affects me, too, and is rather frustrating. i welcome warnings and
suggestions from software, but this is just plain annoying without a way
to override it.

i flashed libreboot into my laptop (it's an opensource bios where grub
is the payload in the bios flash chip itself). i want to have a full
disk encryption that libreboot's grub opens and then restarts the grub
configured in /boot/ within the encrypted root.

this all works, except that the debian installer doesn't allow me to
setup the disk they way i want (it insists on an unencrypted /boot).

a workaround is to navigate the installer to setting up encrypted disks,
so that it loads the necessary packages that include e.g. cryptsetup,
and then on a different terminal cryptsetup the disk as you wish. then
the gui installer can be convinced to continue (it also insists on
installing grub somewhere, but that is the last step and can be skipped).

--
• attila lendvai
• PGP: 963F 5D5F 45C7 DFCD 0A39