On Sat, 2018-08-11 at 20:14 +1200, Richard Hector wrote:
> Hi - I hope I'm in the right place; feel free to redirect me.
>
> I want to install on a KVM-based VPS, using an ordinary installer (ie
> not using the image provided).
>
> I used the provider's method to provide an ISO, and supplied the
> standard amd64 netinst image - it boots fine, but can't find the 'cdrom'
> afterwards. They suggest the netinst image doesn't have the drivers for
> the KVM virtual cdrom - does that sound right? Are there alternative
> images that would?
[...]

I think you are confusing netinst with netboot.

A netboot installer image is an initramfs with input, graphics and
network drivers included, but not storage drivers.  It downloads
additional installer components from the network, not from local
storage.

A netinst installer image is a disk image.  It includes one or more
boot loaders, kernels, and initramfses; and additional installer
components.  The initramfs additionally includes storage drivers.

If the netboot method doesn't work for you (maybe network auto-
configuration doesn't work properly in this VPS?) you could try
extracting the kernel (vmlinuz) and initramfs (initrd.img) from the
netinst installer image and providing those instead of the netboot
images.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
Time is nature's way of making sure that