Dear -devel list,

Recently I am looking into an orphaned but rather important library package,
libjson-c (popcon >35000, with udeb package). Suprisingly the library libjson-
c3 was installed into /lib/<triplet>/ instead of /usr/lib/<triplet>/.

I digged a little bit into it and found out that it was originally due to
upstart that needed it during bootup [2] so the lib should be placed into /lib
according to FHS. However, with upstart disappeared from Debian archive (since
2016), other init systems seem not having dependency on json-c and that
usrmerge is approaching, I'm wondering if we should move the installation path
back to /usr/lib. Will there be any side effects?

I plan to make a clean-up upload for json-c based on current version in sid
(instead of starting a transition). Since it provides a udeb package, words
from the d-i team is also valuable. Please also let me know your suggestions.

--
Regards,
Boyuan Yang

[1] https://tracker.debian.org/pkg/json-c