Package: console-setup
Version: 1.188

Same here on Debian Buster with console-setup v1.188 and "de" keyboard layout. Same as well on Raspbian Buster on RPi2, which has the same console-setup version and keyboard layout.

I narrowed it down a bid to the "setupcon" command, when configuring the keyboard:

root@VM-Buster:~# setupcon -v -k
Configuring /dev/tty1 /dev/tty2 /dev/tty3 /dev/tty4 /dev/tty5 /dev/tty6
The charmap is UTF-8
BackSpace is ^?
on /dev/tty1  executing kbd_mode -u.
on /dev/tty2  executing kbd_mode -u.
on /dev/tty3  executing kbd_mode -u.
on /dev/tty4  executing kbd_mode -u.
on /dev/tty5  executing kbd_mode -u.
on /dev/tty6  executing kbd_mode -u.
WARNING: Unknown X keysym "dead_belowmacron"
WARNING: Unknown X keysym "dead_belowmacron"
WARNING: Unknown X keysym "dead_belowmacron"
WARNING: Unknown X keysym "dead_belowmacron"
executing loadkeys /tmp/tmpkbd.oCkLOX.

Possibly related:

- On the VM, the "dpkg-reconfigure keyboard-configuration" dialog has French language, even that the current locale is set to "en_GB.UTF-8", not other locale is even generated, current keyboard layout is "de", console has UTF-8, Latin1+5, 8x16 chars. I also have disabled APT package translations disabled. This is not the case on an otherwise identical Stretch VM with v1.164 packages.

- On the RPi, "dpkg-reconfigure keyboard-configuration" does not even run interactively, even with "-f dialog" or "-f readline" frontend actively set. It updates "/etc/default/keyboard", but does not change any value that was set before. Not sure if it's related. I can't find any error output/log about it.