I assume you used a privileged container, I can't reproduce this with an
unprivileged one with only CAP_SYS_ADMIN added.

After some digging, the issue appears to come from here:
https://salsa.debian.org/installer-team/debootstrap/-/blob/master/functions#L1179

> umount "$TARGET/proc" 2>/dev/null || true

As far as git can tell, this is an ancient line. As $TARGET/proc is a
symlink to /proc, the umount usually fails with a "target is busy"
error, which is ignored. In a privileged container however, one can
umount /proc and render the system unusable.

Is this line even needed in the first place? If it can't be removed, it
should at least only be executed if $TARGET/proc isn't a symlink to
/proc. I don't see a scenario where unmounting hosts /proc would be valid.