Hi all,

as a follow-up to #1032940, I think we have some open points in the doc
regarding
RAM/disk space requirements.

In the installation-guide, we have 3 places referring to needed RAM/disk space
size, and unfortunately they are not very well conform with each other:
(at least for the end-user POV, who does not know all the details and tricks)

chapter 2:
https://d-i.debian.org/doc/installation-guide/en.amd64/ch02s05.html
says
"You must have at least 780MB of memory and 1160MB of hard disk space to
perform a normal installation."

chapter 3:
https://d-i.debian.org/doc/installation-guide/en.amd64/ch03s04.html
says
"Table 3.2. Recommended Minimum System Requirements

Install Type    RAM (minimum)   RAM (recommended)       Hard Drive
No desktop      256 megabytes   512 megabytes   4 gigabytes
With Desktop    1 gigabytes     2 gigabytes     10 gigabytes    "

And chapter D.2:
https://d-i.debian.org/doc/installation-guide/en.amd64/apds02.html
has a table for different tasks:

"Task   Installed size (MB)     Download size (MB)      Space needed to install
(MB)
Desktop environment
  • GNOME (default)     3216    859     4075
  • KDE Plasma  4584    1316    5900
  • Xfce        2509    683     3192
  • LXDE        2539    693     3232
  • MATE        2851    762     3613
  • Cinnamon    4676    1324    6000
Web server      85      19      104
SSH server      2       1       3       "

I remember some reports from users in the past, saying that the values in
chapter 2 are totally unrealistic, and the answer from debian-boot was
"Well, those values are minimal values over all archs", so a light-weight
arch could work with those values indeed. But for most users those values
are not real-world.
But hey, for those people, there is the link to chapter 3:
"Note that these are fairly minimal numbers. For more realistic figures,
see Section 3.4, “Meeting Minimum Hardware Requirements”.
So, if chapter 2 advise is of no value at all, why not skip it completely?
Or make it compliant with chapter 3. ???

I would like to get this into a better shape, so that the different chapters
are talking "with the same speach" (and don't conflict).

To get this done, I propose to change (or unify) the values in chapter 2 + 3,
so
that they show a consistent picture.

I did some test installations with QEMU on amd64.
The results are:        Installing with 256 MB of RAM fails, the installer
                        stopps with "320 MB RAM is required"

                        Installing with 512 MB of RAM switches to low-memory
                        mode installer, but the installation succeeds.

So I propose to change chapter 3 values like

  Install Type  RAM (minimum)   RAM (recommended)       Hard Drive
- No desktop    256 megabytes   512 megabytes   4 gigabytes
+ No desktop    512 megabytes   1 gigabytes     4 gigabytes
  With Desktop  1 gigabytes     2 gigabytes     10 gigabytes

So:

1.
To have chapter 2 compliant with chapter 3 (regarding RAM size)

and
2.
since we have changed the minimal harddisk value to 4 gigabytes in
bug#1032940 (harddisk size)

and
3.
since users will probably misinterpret the phrase of "a normal installation"
here
(What is a *normal* installation? What is *normal* in this case? I would skip
the *normal* here and just talk of *an installation*. )

I would propose to change chapter 2
like

- You must have at least 780MB of memory and 1160MB of hard disk space to
- perform a normal installation."
+ You must have at least 512MB of memory and 4GB of hard disk space to
+ perform an installation."

Comments?

Holger

--
Holger Wansing <hwans...@mailbox.org>
PGP-Fingerprint: 496A C6E8 1442 4B34 8508  3529 59F1 87CA 156E B076