On Wed, Jun 25, 2003 at 09:22:41PM +0200, Robert Millan wrote:
> I just checked debian's ppp sources and it supports FreeBSD's kernel. I
> haven't tried, but in a quick look seems like adding "GNU/FreeBSD" to
> ./configure would get it working (stealing kernel options from "FreeBSD"
> and user options from "Linux")

You might want to make sure there aren't any changes in FreeBSD cvs
that haven't been merged upstream. I've run into problems in the past
with FreeBSD not pushing diffs (or not making it in). (binutils and gcc
come to mind readily...)

> In any case, for those of you interested in FreeBSD's ppp:
>
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/ppp-and-slip.html
>
> But i really think we should avoid FreeBSD's user sources when we have
> a working alternative:

The dual libc configuration I'm playing with looks like it might make it
quite easy to run both glibc and native libc together, and in that case
native FreeBSD system utilities won't be a problem.

>  - with debian's ppp, Glibc support is maintained for GNU/Linux and
>    FreeBSD's kernel support is maintained for FreeBSD system.
>  - with FreeBSD's ppp, FreeBSD's kernel support is maintained natively
>    but we'd have to maintain Glibc support ourselves.

Which FreeBSD's ppp? There are two, both kernel-mode and user-mode ppp
exist. pppd should probably be the debian package, patched as needed.
But I see no reason not to support both, if both work.

        ---Nathan