On 2016-11-13 Michael Biebl <[email protected]> wrote: > Package: exim4 > Version: 4.88~RC4-2 > Severity: normal
> Hi, > having a native systemd service for exim4 would be great. The sysv init > script does a *lot* of stuff though, so I don't know, how easily a > systemd conversion is possible. Hello, I have thought about this, too, and stopped before really trying to convert. Some thoughts: * Currently one could choose between running exim as before (-bd or -bdf) or with socket-activation (-bw). The latter requires a separate queue-runner. * IIRC most of the complexity of the init script was originally driven by the wish for being able to use mailscanner which required two separate exim processes. However I think with 4.88's new named-queue feature it should be possible to avoid the need for separate exim processes. > As an intermediate step, you can at least help systemd along a little, > and tell it, that the sysv init scrip starts a long running process. > For that, the magic # pidfile comment exists. If that is set, systemd > will set the proper type (Type=forking) and will correctly set the > main pid, i.e. it will notice if the main process this. [...] There is a problem. The pidfile location can overriden in /etc/default/exim4. Isn't it worse if the pidfile comment points to the wrong file? cu Andreas -- `What a good friend you are to him, Dr. Maturin. His other friends are so grateful to you.' `I sew his ears on from time to time, sure'

