After about 1 year of gestation, Zotero 5.0 is out.
* It is standalone only.
* The Firefox interface is now implemented in a "Connector" (as it was always
* The internal format seems to have changed.
* The interoperability with Zotero 4.x is maintained for a while, but
* The possibility of synchronizing 4.x with the Zotero site (an important
for collaboration) will be terminated in a few months.
Therefore, an update to Debian's various Zotero package(s) is needed.
* The situation is simple for Zotero Standalone : a "simple" packaging
to the current "zotero-standalone" package should be enough. A test of
a hand-installed 4.0 version to a hand-installed 5.0 version showed that the
upgrade seems robust.
* For users of the (original) Firefox plugin version (a. k. a. "xul-ext-zotero"
in Debian), it's more complicated. At first sight, a transitional
"xul-ext-zotero" package should :
- depend on "zotero-standalone" ;
- replace the current Zotero Firefox extension with the Connector,
intervention on the users' database(s) ;
- (possibly) add a trigger starting Zotero standalone either at Firefox's
startup (I'm not really sanguine about this possibility, but it would
emulate Zotero's permanent availability in Firefox) or at Connector's
* libreoffice-zotero-integration : I dunno... I have trouble seeing the point
this package, since the Libreoffice Zotero plugin comes standard with Zoter
(standalone) for Linux. The installation of Zotero Standalone should trigger
installation of the plugin if libreoffice-writer happens to be installed ;
similarly, the installation of libreoffice-writer should trigger the plugin
installation if zotero is installed.
The impending suspension of synchronization for Zotero 4.0 makes this (not
inconsiderable) work a bit of an emergency...
-- System Information:
Debian Release: buster/sid
APT prefers testing
APT policy: (650, 'testing'), (60, 'unstable'), (50, 'experimental')
Architecture: amd64 (x86_64)
Foreign Architectures: i386
Kernel: Linux 4.11.0-1-amd64 (SMP w/8 CPU cores)
Locale: LANG=fr_FR.utf8, LC_CTYPE=fr_FR.utf8 (charmap=UTF-8),
Shell: /bin/sh linked to /bin/dash
Init: systemd (via /run/systemd/system)