(Moving the conversation back to the bug.)

Hans de Jonge writes ("Additional information."):
> After my first reply to the bug, I studied libpaper.py completely and 
> noticed the "LC_NUMERIC='C' " on line 23:
> Apparently the LC_ALL in my shell somehow overrides the explicit setting 
> of LC_NUMERIC on my system,

Yes, the function of LC_ALL is to override all other LC_* settings.
It's not normally a good idea to set it routinely in your shell.
You probably wanted to set LANG.

https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/87745/what-does-lc-all-c-do

> so I estimate that changing LC_NUMERIC to LC_ALL on line 23 in
> libpaper.py would probably be a good solution (in my tests it
> works).

I don't think psutils ought to set LC_ALL itself when running
paper(1), because that would result in (for example) error messages in
English rather than the user's language.  (paper(1) seems not to
produced localised error messages anyway right now, but that might
change and also libc messages might be affected.)

I RTFM paper(1) and it says:

  paper prints information about the given paper sizes, which can
  include the standard form of its name, its width and height. The
  output is designed to be both human- and machine-readable.  ...

I think the mention of a machine-readable format implies that use of
the localised numeric format is a bug.  I have filed a separate bug
abaout that, #1148277.

> My prompts were in dutch, can you access the following link link?
> https://chat.mistral.ai/chat/1b0eae84-ce21-467b-947b-629fe06cecb6

Thanks.  Like I say I prefer to avoid reading LLM output, so
unfortunately given the way it's all mixed together there, that wasn't
what I hoped for.

Thanks for the clarification.  I prefer not to read LLM output because
I consider it hazardous (due to adverse cognitive effects on users, as
well as the propensity for bullshit) and because I consider the means
by which LLMs are produced to be highly unethical and destructive.

I'm happy to read text in Dutch if you prefer.  My Dutch isn't great
but should be enough.  I'm also very happy with imperfect English.

Ian.

-- 
Ian Jackson <[email protected]>   These opinions are my own.  

Pronouns: they/he.  If I emailed you from @fyvzl.net or @evade.org.uk,
that is a private address which bypasses my fierce spamfilter.

Reply via email to