Hi Bastian,

Thank you for catching that -- I would rather know now than in NEW.

You are right that the name was used before. For the record, the previous
package was:

  slat 2.0-5, "Security-Enhanced Linux Analysis Tools": tools for
  information flow analysis of SELinux policies, maintained by Manoj
  Srivastava, section admin.

It was removed from the archive on 2009-08-16 at its own maintainer's
request -- #541373, "RM: slat -- ROM; Dead upstream, obsolete" -- and has
not been in any suite since. The two pieces of software are unrelated: that
one analysed SELinux policy, this one is a terminal multiplexer. Upstream
chose the name independently, without knowing of the older package.

As far as I can tell there is no rule against reusing the name of a package
removed sixteen years ago, but I am not the one who decides that, so I am
happy to be told otherwise.

There is a second issue you did not raise which I think matters more, and I
would rather put it on the table myself: my version is lower than the one
that was removed. The old package reached 2.0-5; this is 0.2.1-1. Nothing
currently in the archive constrains it, but the ordering is backwards for
anyone reading the package's history, and an upgrade path from the 2009
package does not exist.

If ftpmaster would prefer it, I am glad to upload as 1:0.2.1-1 so the new
package sorts above everything the old one ever shipped. I have not done so
pre-emptively, because an epoch is permanent and I would rather not add one
that nobody wanted.

And if the conclusion is that the name should not be reused at all, tell me
and I will rename upstream. It is early enough that renaming costs me a
release, not a migration.

Simon Josefsson has reviewed 0.2.1-1 and offered to sponsor it
(#1148387); the packaging is in the Go team's namespace on Salsa with the
salsa-ci suite passing.

Thanks again for looking.

Bobby Anthene

Reply via email to