Hi,

Simon McVittie <[email protected]> (2026-09-27):
> On Sun, 27 Sep 2026 at 19:26:44 +0200, Cyril Brulebois wrote:
> > Building with -B (arch: any), that does work, and that should be
> > sufficient on buildds. Building with -b (arch: any and arch: all)
> > doesn't, because of the -arch/-indep split for the dh_auto_install
> > override.
> 
> Hmm, I'm surprised that a dh_auto_install-arch override isn't run when
> building both "arch" and "indep" packages together - I'd have expected
> it to run both the -arch and -indep overrides, if any? But if that
> isn't the case, your solution seems good.

I almost included more information in my previous mail but decided
against it because it felt way too long already.

With the current, unpatched package, the following happens:

 - One arch call that triggers the existing override:

       debian/rules override_dh_auto_install-arch

This leads to running dh_auto_install twice, as specified in that
override:

    dh_auto_install --builddirectory=src -- PREFIX='$(DESTDIR)/usr'
    dh_auto_install --builddirectory=man -- PREFIX='$(DESTDIR)/usr'

Removals of unifont-viewer files would happen here (and be confirmed,
e.g. `rm -f -v` would report files existing and going away).

 - One “indep” call that doesn't trigger any override (there's no
   override_dh_auto_install-indep), which is expressed through an
   exclusion of the only arch: any package (unifont-bin), via a now
   third dh_auto_install call:

       dh_auto_install -Nunifont-bin

At that point, unifont-viewer files are put back into place again (`rm
-f -v` would again confirm they exist and they are removed, now twice),
which explains why the combination of both your patches wouldn't be
sufficient.

Since I wasn't entirely sure my understanding was correct, I ran a test
with an extra `override_dh_auto_install-indep`, which confirmed that it
would trigger in a similar fashion as the existing `-arch` version
quoted above:

       debian/rules override_dh_auto_install-indep

> > What about leaving both dh_auto_install overrides alone, and moving
> > the removals to right before dh_install instead?
> 
> Your amended version of my patch looks good to me. Thanks!

Thanks for the review!

Hideki-san, are you happy to include this patch in your next upload? Or
I can take of uploading the package if you would like me to.


Cheers,
-- 
Cyril Brulebois ([email protected])            <https://debamax.com/>
D-I release manager -- Release team member -- Freelance Consultant

Attachment: signature.asc
Description: PGP signature

Reply via email to