On 31 Jul 2000, Philip Hands wrote:

> Mattias Wadenstein <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> > We would also be happy to run a mirror for the potato ISOs provided there
> > is a someone we could rsync towards, since we have much bandwidth and not
> > that much CPU power we could probably rsync them a couple of times over
> > before the pseudo-image-kit would finish doing its stuff. ;)
>
> Er, no -- the pseudo-image-kit doesn't take much CPU -- it's just
> sticking FTP/HTTP files together.

The server has 2 40MHz supersparcs. I've tried the pseudo-image-kit on
another of our servers, with 2 60MHz supersparcs, and it took much more
time than downloading the isos would have taken.

(This was slink, but it took me over an hour making those isos,
downloading them would probably have taken less than 20 minutes.)

> In fact, you presumably have a local mirror of the debian archive, if
> you're hosting ftp.se.debian.org, in which case the pseudo-image-kit
> would be working at the bandwidth of your disks, which I imagine is
> rather higher than the bandwidth you have to your nearest cd mirror.

Well, that depends on the other end. :)

I don't think I'll find any other ends that are that fast though.

We do have more potential bandwidth to network than disk..

> So, be a good chap and use the pseudo-image-kit.
>
> Once you've done that, if you cannot find a closer mirror to do the
> final rsync from, feel free to point it at cdimage.debian.org

Well, the one at tut.fi seems pretty close. A few tests didn't get that
great bandwidth to it though, only 250 KB/s or so. But that is probably
going to be faster than setting up the pseudo-image-kit anyway.

We'll see. Perhaps we have a mirror up and running tomorrow. If that is
so, we'll let you know. :)

/Mattias Wadenstein