On Sat, 10 Mar 2001, Attila Nagy wrote:

> > I think we would have greater availability if you would do the kind of
> > hardlink-trick that the official debian setup uses. That way the rsync
> > won't start by deleting the woody isos and then downloading them in
> > full to another name. Since we seem to get about 70K/s it will take
> > most of today to sync everything.
>
> I don't really understand you. There was a change in the directory
> structure, but this won't happen again.
> If there will be another update all the filenames will be the same.

Ah, ok. Of they won't change again there is no need.

> > We will also run out of space after the sid images have managed to
> > sync. (We only had about 4 gig left or so.) We are contacting our disk
> > sponsor about this, and hopefully we'll get another nice disk.
> Wow, you have a disk sponsor! I would need one too ;)

The very nice people at southpole (.se) that used to run ftp.se.debian.org
are still involved in providing this service to the public, even if they
aren't running it directly any more.

I wonder a bit if some of the bigger linux supporters (IBM springs to
mind) can't be convinced to donate some disk to these important services.

You might want to try and contact them. The hardest part would probably to
get in touch with the right person(s).

> > Ah, the potato images was moved and the symlink doesn't point to a
> > place that exists over here, would it be safe in the future to copy
> > symlinks as the files/directories they point towards?
> The potato images won't change in the future. If you need them download
> with ftp and exclude them from the rsync process.

Ok, we will do that when we have diskspace for it, I think.

/Mattias Wadenstein