On Fri, 16 Nov 2001, Richard Atterer wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 16, 2001 at 08:24:06AM +0100, Mattias Wadenstein wrote:
> > One thing: Reorder the list so that "Install directly from the
> > network." is the first point, since it is the one we should point
> > most users towards?
>
> I've already been asked to do this by someone else. But I'm not sure
> whether it should really be the first option:
>
> Assuming that people who want to use Debian are not dummies ;-), if
> they go to a site called "cdimage", I expect they'll want to get CD
> images, and probably have reasons for not wanting to install via the
> network.

They might have, and then the will continue to scan the list of options.
Thing is that you stop when you see something that matches what you want.

If you know you don't want a network install for some reason, you move on
quickly. If you are a newbie that is unsure, they might very well not read
the part about network installs being better, since they might already
have followed a link (to http downloads or something).

But it is a minor point anyway, the important thing is that the webpage
is much easier to find stuff on.

> Myself, I'd want to download the images even if I had a permanent net
> connection, because I might want to install Debian on a friend's
> machine at one point, or use it for rescue booting when my system is
> broken, etc. etc...

Same here. I "download" (over nfs) and burn the image just to have a boot
media for a network install. It is easier and less trouble than making
floppies.

/Mattias Wadenstein