On Fri, 12 Oct 2001, Wookey wrote:

> On Wed 10 Oct, Ben Collins wrote:
>
> > I've brought this up before. I went to go get an ISO, and was presented
> > with 50 questions about what I intended to do with it, and what type of
> > person I was. It's rediculous, regardless of the issue it is trying to
> > solve.
>
> I sympathise, but any suggestion of change brings us back to the original
> question - do we have the bandwidth to just serve people iso images?

Speaking as a cd image mirror admin: Yes.

Checking the list of mirrors europe seems to have enough mirrors to
provide easy http/ftp downloads. I don't know enough about the bandwidth
situation in US or Australia though.

But I don't think it would be so bad, at worst the user could discover
that downloading cd-images is really, really slow and chose another
method.

> If we do then, yes lets simplify the whole damn thing.

Yeah, I think I'm not the only one that thinks booting from a cd is easier
than booting from several floppies for a network install. Add some other
factors (good bandwidth, easy access to cd writer and blank cds, dislike
for floppies and so on) and getting a cd from a mirror is the easiest
solution.

/Mattias Wadenstein