On Mon, Jul 14, 2003 at 04:57:43PM +0200, Mattias Wadenstein wrote:
> On Sun, 13 Jul 2003, Mattias Wadenstein wrote:
>
> > One suggestion for being able to have testing images that are just a
> > simple repoint away from actual release would be to have a similar setup
> > in the debian-cd dir as the main archive:
> >
> > debian-cd/
> >   woody/
> >   sarge/
> >   stable -> woody
> >   testing -> sarge
> >
> > And then just repoint the stable link at release time.
>
> And in each of these directories:
> images/3.0_r1/hppa/
>           .../arm/
> jigdo/3.0_r0/i386/
>           ../arm/
>      /3.0_r1/i386/

While we're at it, what about distribution of weekly snapshots? With
new-style long filenames (say, "debian-sarge-030711-alpha-binary-1.iso"),
rsyncing them will be very inefficient, and I doubt the mirrors will want
to download all the data again every week.

Possibilities:
     1) Continue to use old-style names ("woody-i386-1.iso")
     2) Only release as .jigdo files
     3) Only release on one server, don't bother mirroring

My preference is 2), but as usual I'm biased... :-)

Another issue is to distinguish testing-but-just-about-to-be-released
images from weekly testing snapshot images in a clear way - how? Or were
you thinking of distributing the weekly snapshots in sarge/? If so, the
images would have to be renamed on release... :-/

Cheers,

  Richard

--
  __   _
  |_) /|  Richard Atterer     |  GnuPG key:
  | \/¯|  http://atterer.net  |  0x888354F7
  ¯ '` ¯