On Tue, 2015-01-27 at 17:03 +0100, Thomas Schmitt wrote:

Thank you (again?) for all the excellent info you've provided here and
in your followups.

> I did not guess too bad with my repacking experiment.
>
> But this does not explain how the empty FAT partition
> got to the end of mini.iso
> I see in
>
> http://anonscm.debian.org/cgit/d-i/debian-installer.git/tree/build/config/x86.cfg#n347
>
>       geniso_hybrid_plus_firmware_partition $(TEMP_MINIISO)
>
> So obviously the appended partition was not intended for EFI
> but for additional firmware.

Ah yes, that would seem to make sense.

Given that I don't really understand how this additional firmware
partition stuff is supposed to fit together (i.e. what impact changing
its partition number or adding another VFAT partition etc would have on
the code which finds/loads from it) I'm very reluctant to be the one to
suggest that we should change things here for Jessie given we've had the
beta and are frozen etc. Perhaps we should park this until Stretch?
(Kibi, any thoughts on that?)

It's not really clear to me who the intended audience of these
mini.iso's are:

It seems (IMHO only) that mini.iso is mostly useful for d-i developers
to dev test the netboot installer images without needing to rebuild the
full netinst images (so both legacy and EFI capabilities are useful
there).

But I think most end users would be better off being directed to the
proper netinst images instead, they are more polished and better tested
etc (since they share code with the larger ISO images and what have
you).

At some point it seems like improving mini.iso more for end users would
simply be duplicating effort with the CD team.

Ian.