at bottom :-

On 2/23/15, Brian Potkin <claremont...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon 23 Feb 2015 at 04:08:47 +0530, shirish शिरीष wrote:
>
>> As a newbie, I do remember the confusion and had to ask people on the
>> #debian channel and then also was not sure so downloaded the 1st DVD
>> to get the installer working. It should make it easier to understand
>> as what is needed/essential.
>
> Please say in what way
>
>    https://www.debian.org/CD/faq/
>
> does not disperse any confusion.
>
> Regards,
>
> Brian.

Brian,
It does disperse, but you are putting faith that when a person is
confused he will rush straight to the FAQ. I don't think it does
happen like that.

What would be good if there were some stats. of people who went to CD
page and then successfully downloaded the CD/DVD image.

At least on the page linked
(http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/7.8.0/amd64/iso-dvd/ or even
http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/7.8.0/amd64/iso-cd/) there doesn't
seem to no way to tell to the user that your answer is an FAQ which is
located somewhere else.

So either the page should have a link to the FAQ at the very least if
that argument has to be told.

It would be difficult for anybody to take that jump from where s/he is
to where you are pointing.

I *think* instead of just going back and forth if there are any stats.
on successful downloads would be glad to know those.

@Hideki Yamane - now playing Devil's advocate from the other side -
Actually if you look at https://www.debian.org/CD/http-ftp/ it does
state in 'bold' that the first disk has what is needed for normal
desktop application.

For a normal new user who comes, he would probably land up at
https://www.debian.org/distrib/ and from there to
https://www.debian.org/CD/

If anything has to rejigged, it probably would be on the CD page.

If I were a clueless newbie for instance, I woul have liked to have
the http/ftp more up the order rather than jigdo or torrents, as these
would be familiar only to a person who has worked with torrents or
jigdo (meaning somewhat familiarity with Debain process).

Looking forward to both as you both think how a 'normal' user would
try to download from and will he get the required info.
--
          Regards,
          Shirish Agarwal  शिरीष अग्रवाल