Hello folks!

I'm attempting to automate the process of fetching base disk images for
various platforms, and I have to say that the naming of the debian images
seems arbitrary.  Is there any way that we could pick something a little
more consistent, or at least add some symlinks?

To demonstrate the difficulties I've been having, I wrote a little script,
fetch-baseimages.pl
<http://git.linuxfoundation.org/?p=cjcollier/openstack.git;a=blob;f=fetch-base-images.pl;h=620e84c1fc2a0c738d3a99e17eee5692aafe9c66;hb=HEAD#l66>

Note the conditional on line 66
<http://git.linuxfoundation.org/?p=cjcollier/openstack.git;a=blob;f=fetch-base-images.pl;h=620e84c1fc2a0c738d3a99e17eee5692aafe9c66;hb=HEAD#l66>.
Also note the considerably longer and somewhat hard-coded method of
determining the filename and url of the disk image for each supported
release, starting on line 33
<http://git.linuxfoundation.org/?p=cjcollier/openstack.git;a=blob;f=fetch-base-images.pl;h=620e84c1fc2a0c738d3a99e17eee5692aafe9c66;hb=HEAD#l33>
.

My recommendation would be to use only the major version number in the
filename, and to have the file reside in a directory named with the major
version, as well.  This is the way that the other OSs which we support do
it.  Well, Ubuntu uses a string representing the YY.MM instead of a major
version, but at least it's consistent :-)

Can has help please?

Thanks in advance!

C.J.