And I'll add my 2¢ as an end user.

The live images exist IMHO to test compatibility before committing to
installation, and to install what was just tested and demonstrated,
regardless of environment.   It's a nice feature (arguably an essential
feature) that the actual install mirror *exactly* the tested compatibility
and appearance.  To go with this, it *was* nice to be able to install in
the absence of a network connection or Internet service.

The Live environment still works fine for testing for compatibility,
especially when the Nonfree repository is included.  Installation, no
longer.

My 2¢ is that installation suffers from a lack of testing, probably because
Debian Live is a "unofficial" branch off the development tree.  It's made
worse because bugs for Live have no clear reporting process.  Where DOES
one report a problem - to this mailing list, or the mailing list more
obviously suited (think a bug found while installing...report here, or
report to debian-install, or to debian-boot)?

Inquiring minds want to know! <g>

Charlie