[ Dropping Lucas from CC here... ]

Hi Wolfgang,

Finally getting back to this - it's been a busy couple of weeks...!

On Sat, Jan 26, 2019 at 11:24:40AM +0100, Wolfgang Schweer wrote:
>Hi Steve,
>
>On Fri, Jan 25, 2019 at 11:58:08PM +0000, Steve McIntyre wrote:
>> So I've been looking through this code again, and the corresponding
>> code in apt-setup that uses these values. Last time I played with
>> apt-setup, I added a table to describe what d-i will do based on the
>> information in cd_type, to explain exactly what d-i expects:
>>
>> # Various different image types look different here:
>> #
>> # Image Type                       cd_type
>> ###################################################
>> # netinst                          "not_complete"
>> # full CD sets (default desktop)   "full_cd"
>> # desktop-specific CD images       "full_cd/single"
>> # DVD                              "dvd"
>> # bluray                           "bluray"
>> # multi-arch CD/DVD                "not_complete"
>> # live                             "live"
>
>Thanks for checking the code and providing this table.
>
>The Debian Edu BD image (bluray) is generated using COMPLETE=0, see:
>https://salsa.debian.org/images-team/setup/blob/master/buster/cronjob.weekly#L268
>
>because otherwise it turned out to be too big (~21 GiB).
>This image is intended for offline installations, no mirror useable.
>
>With this setting the Edu image differs from the stock BD/DLBD ones
>where COMPLETE=0 is missing and the default (COMPLETE=1) takes effect,
>see:
>https://salsa.debian.org/images-team/setup/blob/master/buster/cronjob.weekly#L169

Right.

>> The changes you've imported from the debian-edu fork of debian-cd
>> clearly don't match up with these, and that's a problem.
>
>Agreed; sorry for that.
>
>> We'll come back to this again shortly. To help with that, could you
>> describe exactly what debian-edu is expecting here please, i.e. what
>> the settings in cd_type mean for the debian-edu installer?
>
>I tried to understand the code that is used to write the content, see:
>https://salsa.debian.org/images-team/debian-cd/blob/master/tools/start_new_disc#L179
>
>If I understood correctly, for all cases with COMPLETE=0 the content of
>cd_type is 'not_complete'.

Correct.

>If the EDU BD image has 'blueray/not_complete' then this content matches
>the blueray*) case in apt-setup, see:
>https://sources.debian.org/src/apt-setup/1:0.145/generators/50mirror/#L104
>and the image is usable for offline installation.
>This is the only change that is actually needed for the Edu BD image.

Right - that's the information I was looking for. :-) If the Edu
images are doing nothing special (in terms of Edu setup) then that
makes life easier for me!

>Commit
>https://salsa.debian.org/images-team/debian-cd/commit/15b482d49e642e21e983dba27a47b4fc2d8b90b4
>incorrectly altered the setting 'not_complete' to 'cd/not_complete' for
>netinst, causing this bug. Sorry for not noticing it.
>
>> I'm worried that we may not have a clear solution here that can match
>> the current expectations of both d-i and and the debian-edu setup.
>
>Hopefully I managed to clarify the Edu setup intention.

Definitely, thanks!

With a type of bluray/not_complete, we'll then get the following
behaviour from the current apt-setup code:

 * 41cdset will ask if you want to scan more media (the multi-line
   "if" code around L60 will *not* match)

 * 50mirror will *not* ask about using a mirror, as you say above
   (will match "bluray*" in L104

Is that what you're looking for? If not, we can tweak further to get
the right behaviour. To be fair, the interfaces here are not great,
and well overdue for some changes to make things clearer...

--
Steve McIntyre, Cambridge, UK.                                st...@einval.com
"C++ ate my sanity" -- Jon Rabone