Hey guys,

On Thu, Jul 30, 2020 at 11:42:03AM +0200, Thomas Schmitt wrote:
>Deparade Max wrote:
>> I tried three times to download the 9.13 version ISO but Firefox keep saying
>> that it might conaint a virus or malware. I need a verified answer whats
>> going on there.
>> I used following site:
>> https://cdimage.debian.org/mirror/cdimage/archive/9.13.0/amd64/iso-cd/
>> And following ISO:
>> debian-9.13.0-amd64-netinst.iso
>
>My quite freshly installed Firefox on Debian 10 says the same.
>
>But only on the first download. A second download does not cause that
>warning of Firefox.
>Neither do downloads of the other two ISOs on that page.
>
>My old Iceweasel on Debian 8 does not complain.

Right. We've had a few reports like this in the last few days. We
*think* it's Firefox using Google's "safe browsing" stuff. I've raised
a few tickets with Google already about this, but had no response yet.

>Quite surely Debian does not put malware into its ISOs.

No, *definitely* not. We're wondering if it might just be a hash
collision or something. It's difficult to tell with ~zero
diagnostics. :-/

>It would be interesting to see more details about how Firefox or other
>virus scanners come to that idea. If they can tell a file name in the ISO
>or a byte range in the ISO, then it would be possible to examine the
>problem deeper.

Nod.

--
Steve McIntyre, Cambridge, UK.                                st...@einval.com
Who needs computer imagery when you've got Brian Blessed?