Thanks for the detailed message. I started everything over to try to reproduce
the problem.

I wiped out the NVMe drive again (wipefs -a and dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdb
bs=512 count=100000), and re-installed Pop!OS 22.04 non-NVidia version, which
was successful. The computer was operating normally and booting into Pop!OS, no
problem.

I then downloaded a new Debian 11.5.0 netinst ISO, checked the SHA512, wrote it
to the USB drive with extra parameters mentioned earlier.

I powered off the computer, inserted the USB 3.0 stick into a USB 3.0 port and
powered on. I hit F12 to reach the Dell one-time boot menu and chose the USB
stick to boot from.

It immediately boots into the Grub CLI as I described before. So either the
presence of the Pop!OS partition or the presence of the entry in the UEFI boot
table seems to be confusing the Debian USB stick.