Hi Cyril,

The regression, in my opinion, is that the standard release of bullseye made sure that all the packages that may be required for a successful installation would be available for users who did not create their media using 'dd', whereas bookworm doesn't.

Whereas one could use file system transposition with bullseyes to create a working installation media for a UEFI system, the same is not true for bookworm, as we now have .deb packages that are symbolically linked and that will not be found unless the user takes care of manually duplicating those, or copies the ISO through a utility that does.

Again, I will point out that the goal is for users of any OS to be able to bypass the need to use any external utility (and I'll remind everyone that Windows does not come with a native 'dd' equivalent for instance) and just use the native tools that come with the OS to create a Debian installation UEFI bootable media .

With bullseye, and to continue with the example of Windows, this was possible by simply formatting a USB drive to FAT32 (which can be easily achieved by right clicking on the drive or through the native disk utility) then mounting the ISO in File Explorer (again right click, for any version of Windows starting with Windows 8 included) and copying the files to the USB drive.

If you did just that, you would end up with a media that, for all intents and purposes, behaved the same as a 'dd' written media as far as Debian installation was concerned (granted, there were still some Rock Ridge symbolic links being lost, but those were for non essential files like documentation, etc.).

With bookworm, doing the above no longer guarantees that the media will result in an installable Debian, because if the user happens to require a firmware, the relevant .deb package will be missing from /firmware due to the use of symbolic links.

In my view, this counts as a regression (though, to be fair, non-free bullseye is also affected by this issue, but I'm not entirely sure how "standard" non-free is considered) on account that, whereas bullseye stored all of the .deb packages required for installation as actual physical files that could be copied over, bookworm does not.

I hope that clarifies it.

Regards,

/Pete