On Fri, Nov 04, 2016 at 09:03:39PM -0400, Sam Hartman wrote:
> I pushed to git://git.debian.org/cloud/fai-cloud-images.git.

I've got a FAI config targeting jessie on EC2. It seems to work well and
at this point I'm at the point of tweaking the packages lists and
configuration to match JEB's images as closely as possible. It shouldn't
be hard to merge my work into Sam's repo, but I haven't done it yet.

I've introduced two classes:

EC2: Contains EC2-specific packages, debconf settings, etc

DEVEL: Installs a number of packages useful in a full-featured Debian
environment, such as git, devscripts, build-essential, etc. The
motivation is that we could generate "minimal" images simply by leaving
omitting this class.

My workflow has largely involved local development with testing taking
place in EC2. In reality there's only a single step that needs to be
performed on an actual instance, though. ('dd' of the generated image to
an attached EBS volume) A possible "production" workflow might be:

1. Run 'fai-diskimage' locally on a Debian-managed host.
2. Perform automated analysis of FAI logs for sanity tests.
3. Mount generated image locally and perform filesystem-level tests.
4. Launch an EC2 instance and attach an EBS volume to it as sdb.
5. scp the generated image to the EC2 instance and 'dd' to sdb.
6. snapshot the EBS volume and register it as an AMI
7. Perform any desired AMI tests, such as launching it with different
user-data configuration, etc.
8. Migrate the AMI to different regions, mark public, register with
marketplace, etc.

The 'dd' component of step 5 is the only one that actually needs to run
on an EC2 instance.

I'm sure JEB already has infrastructure for most of these steps, and we
should continue using that where appropriate.

noah