On Thu, Feb 02, 2017 at 04:29:11PM +0800, gustavo panizzo wrote:
> I saw your blog post (which I've attached to this email), then the next
> time I needed an EC2 instance I tested the images on a non-IPv6 region
> (SG) and an IPv6 enabled VPC
>
> overall the image looks fine, no extraneous things, sysctl is clean,
> etc. great job. :)

Interesting that you bring up sysctl. I consider it a bug that we're
currently running with an unmodified set of sysctl variables. Apparently
you disagree. My reasoning is that the kernel defaults are intended to
be very broadly applicable, but the cloud AMI is a more specific use
case and it should be possible to provide a more appropriate set of
defaults for various settings. We can tune our sysctl settings towards
server optimizations because we know we're not running on a device like
a laptop or mobile device.

> could you move the configuration for eth1 to eth8 to
> /etc/network/interfaces.d/? also can you _please_ move out of
> /usr/local the helper?

I think moving most interface configs to interfaces.d is reasonable and
will do that. I had considered it previously but did not, mostly out of
laziness.

Where would you prefer the interfaces helper script live, if not
/usr/local? Because it does not belong to a package, I don't think it
belongs in a first-level /usr subdirectory. I suppose ideally it will
get added to a package, but I'm not sure it's worth packaging on its
own. Maybe it could be added to ifupdown?

> - cloud-init complains when net-tools is not installed (it appears to
> work anyway) bug #853926

It's probably best to explicitly install net-tools, at least until
cloud-init is updated.

> - I'd like to see all locales installed (but I understand that is a topic
> for another discussion)

Thanks for the suggestion. One thing that other distros have done is
provide a "minimal" AMI that contains the most basic set of tools needed
to function (i.e. not much more than a bare debootstrap install +
sshd and cloud-init and their dependencies), and a full-featured
variant. If we were to do that, maybe it'd make sense to provide locales
in the featureful variant. OTOH, it should be pretty straightforward for
a user to configure desired locales via user-data provided to cloud-init
at launch time, so this may not be necessary.

> I know my complains are mostly esthetics, but is part of the user
> experience the first time he/she logins into an instance.

Noted. Thank you for your feedback.

noah