On Wed, Jun 14, 2017 at 12:09:26AM +0200, Ana Guerrero Lopez wrote:
> > In the current Debian Stretch announcement (still open for editing),
> > we mention only the OpenStack images. I was wondering about the availability
> > of other official images: GCE, AWS, Azure?
> >
> > Please, see the current announcement at
> > https://anonscm.debian.org/cgit/publicity/announcements.git/tree/en/drafts/stretch-release.wml
> > line 161. I would like to add the other images and move it all to their
> > own paragrpah.
>
> Thanks for the quick replies Zach and Bastian.
>
> It's finally going to be too short to have everybody replying properly
> on time. I also doubt we're going to be able to squeeze all the relevant
> information in a small paragraph in the announcement and I'm not liking a
> lot the idea of pointing to external sources in the stretch announcement.
>
> New plan: publishing a blog post in bits.debian.org about Debian stretch
> images for the cloud on Tuesday 20 June.

Sounds good to me. I will have images built for AWS pretty much as soon
as "stable" points to stretch on the mirrors. The details will be
documented at https://wiki.debian.org/Cloud/AmazonEC2Image/Stretch as
with the previously released "beta" stretch images.

> >From the Debian Cloud Sprint [1] and the wiki page [2] looks like the
> idea of "official images" is still work in progress. So for the
> purpose of this blog post I'll consider all images are unofficial
> and the information presented by the post will be merely to inform
> users how they can run Debian in their favorite cloud provider.

Fair enough. User experience should be about the same either way.
Details to be worked out are pretty much entirely internal, in terms of
various image generation workflows and where they run.

> I have created a pad https://pad.riseup.net/p/stretchcloudimages with
> some questions. I'd like you to add there all the relevant information
> and I will do my best to create a nice blog post.

I believe most of the details you're looking for are covered on the
https://wiki.debian.org/Cloud/AmazonEC2Image/Stretch, except for support
and documentation details. In general support is via
debian-cloud@lists.d.o, #debian-cloud, or the cloud.debian.org bts
pseudopackage. Documentation is wiki.debian.org, though there's not a
lot to speak of.

Thanks
noah