On Sat, Aug 26, 2017 at 05:18:45PM +0100, Ben Hutchings wrote:
> > Thomas, can you elaborate why you think this a good idea? Is this about
> > boot time of the kernel image? The thing I really do not want to have is
> > additional kernel source uploads to the archive for just those cloud
> > kernel images, but you already considered that a bad idea (from what I
> > read between your lines).
>
> When the Google Cloud people talked to me about slow booting, it turned
> out that reconfiguring initramfs-tools to MODULES=dep made a big
> improvement.  That is likely to be a sensible configuration for most
> cloud images.

I'm not sure that'll work for us. The image generation is not generally
expected to occur on cloud instances (though in practice it certainly
may).

OTOH, the list of required modules may be small enough for us to
enumerate the ones we need for booting in /etc/initramfs-tools/modules.
I will look into this, and we'll see what it does to boot times.

noah