On 2018-12-29 18:26:01 -0500 (-0500), Theodore Y. Ts'o wrote:
[...]
> The shortcoming with OpenStack is that you end up having to support
> the lowest common denominator of functionality.

Not to be glib, but you could argue that this is a shortcoming of
AWS, GCE, and Azure as well. The AWS images, for example, end up
having to support the lowest common denominator of functionality
across all service providers who offer AWS. It just happens that
there is only one provider who offers AWS (sub in GCE or Azure as
needed similarly).

> For example, with OpenStack you have to detach a volume from a VM
> before you can resize them[1].  With AWS, GCE, and Azure, you can
> dynamically resize a disk while it is attached.
>
> [1] https://docs.openstack.org/cinder/latest/cli/cli-manage-volumes.html

Thankfully that's been fixed for more than a year, as of API version
3.42[*] for the 11.0.0 "Pike" release of OpenStack Cinder (assuming
the provider has deployed it with compatible hypervisor/volume
drivers and has not disabled it in policy), though the latest CLI
documentation either elides that for reasons I'm unsure of, or more
likely just hasn't caught up yet.

Anyway, your point is taken. I didn't mean to imply that in-guest
agent daemons have no place in provider-specific images, but rather
that cross-service solutions like cloud-init are preferable in
generic images. As you say though, people like me with "special"
needs are probably capable of just building/uploading their own
images so perhaps this is moot.

[*]
https://docs.openstack.org/cinder/latest/contributor/api_microversion_history.html
--