On Thu, Apr 04, 2019 at 09:27:11AM +1300, Andrew Ruthven wrote:
> > > Would it be possible to move the Ec2 datasource up the list like "[
> > > NoCloud, AltCloud, ConfigDrive, OpenStack, Ec2, CloudStack,
> > > ${DIGITAL_OCEAN_SOURCE} MAAS, OVF, GCE, None ]"? This also seems to
> > > be in line with expectations on how the datasources have been
> > > sorted before dc1abbe1.
> > >
> > If we do that, then OpenStack people are going to wait 120 seconds.
> > So,
> > bad idea...
>
> Hmm, this situation is likely going to just get worse as more
> datasources are added.
>
> Can we reduce the timeout?
>
> Try datasources in parallel and first one that responds wins?
>
> Is it worth having multiple images with the order set appropriately?

Yes, I think the expectation is that you should be overriding the
default datasource list to specify only the source(s) relevant to your
particular deployment platform. The list can be specified in the
debconf cloud-init/datasources value.

For example, we specify an appropriate value for our Amazon EC2 images
at
https://salsa.debian.org/cloud-team/debian-cloud-images/blob/master/config_space/debconf/EC2

noah