Hi

On Sun, May 01, 2022 at 07:53:01PM +0000, dimitris.paraskevopoulos wrote:
> I checked out https://salsa.debian.org/cloud-team/debian-cloud-images and run
> make image_bullseye_genericcloud_amd64 without my desired changes hoping that
> it would be the exact same behaviour as the downloaded image from the cloud
> but I am having a problem.
>
> I created 2 template VM's one with each image and I am seeing different
> behaviours when provisioning the VM through terraform by cloning the template.
> Basically the cloud image works as expected when I set a static IP but the
> fai generated one does not. When using the fai image the VM gets a DHCP
> address despite specifying a static one and in general does not seem to get
> into cloud-init.

Both should behave identical.  We did not do any updates for the code
used to build published images for a while, but no change in behaviour
is expected.

Can you please share the network config you try to set?  Static network
config is known to somewhat broken in Bullseye.  You can remove
"config_space/bullseye/files/etc/udev/rules.d/75-cloud-ifupdown.rules/"
to disable what already exists in terms of network config.

What I see in my quick test: both the static and the DHCP address are
set at the same time.

> Can someone help me understand what is going on? Have I misunderstood which
> is the correct make command to create an equivalent image to the one online.

I assume both images are the same, but you are seeing a race condition
that's sadly expected in the current setup.

Bastian

PS: Please set a proper name in the From header.
PSS: Please stop adding advertisements to your email:
--
I've already got a female to worry about.  Her name is the Enterprise.
                -- Kirk, "The Corbomite Maneuver", stardate 1514.0