Scott James Remnant writes ("Re: md5sum <FILE produces spurious ` -' in
output"):
> Just stepping the bug aside for a moment; I'm unsure whether it as
> appropriate for the chairman of the tech-ctte to make a recommendation
> about a bug they themselves filed.  It seems to give you a power to
> pronounce judgement from on-high on any bug you file, a power I don't
> believe the constitution gives you...

I don't get to pronounce judgement on high.  In order to overrule the
maintainer, the TC has to vote with a 3:1 majority.  Thankfully the
other members of the TC are no sheep who'll do just what I tell them
to.

If you look at the constitution, 6.3(2) says that a TC member may not
vote on a decision whether to overrule themselves; this is necessary
to avoid making TC members' packages nearly untouchable.  However, TC
members - including the chairman - are not forbidden from voting on
issues that they themselves have raised.  That would lead to the
absurd situation where if a TC member wanted to have the TC rule on a
controversial bug report they would do best to have another developer
`play' at reporting the bug to the TC !  That kind of fiction would
serve no-one.

Ian.