Steve Langasek <vor...@debian.org> writes:

> The above 'block' would be tantamount to an assertion that you have no
> intention of accepting patches from maintainers of non-default init
> systems to provide compatibility unless forced to do so by the TC;

Wouldn't it be more reasonable to assume that the proper solution may
depend on the TC decision and the corresponding fallout to package naming
and structure, and hence it's reasonable to wait for the decision and
subsequent fallout (particularly since that's close) rather than doing
work now that may not apply to the final state of the world?

You had the same reaction to Tollef's desire to wait for the resolution
before finding the right way of handling systemd-shim, and I have the same
comment.

I think it's reasonable, and human, to want there to be a bit less
uncertainty and a bit more clarity before starting to do work around init
system dependencies.  It doesn't necessarily imply a long-term
disagreement with the proposed solution; it can just mean that people are
hitting overload right now on all the possible paths and want the
probability space to collapse a bit before figuring out what they're
doing.

--
Russ Allbery (r...@debian.org)               <http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>