On Sat, Apr 06, 2002 at 07:30:48PM -0500, Colin Walters wrote:
> It's also probably worth pointing out, as you seem to see yourself as
> "the Dutch RMS", that the Free Software Foundation also accepts
> donations from proprietary software companies:
>
> http://www.gnu.org/thankgnus/2002supporters.html

Yes, GNU lists the supporters on that web page if they don't say that they
want to remain anonymous.  This is well defined and happens under certain
circumstances (eg if you donate a certain amount of money, you get listed as
a Patron and get a luxury CD Rom and a T-Shirt or whatever).  Debian also
lists sponsors on the web page etc.

I think this issue is not so much about that sponsors are credited at all,
or where those sponsors come from and what they do otherwise, but about the
conditions.  If you define up-front what happens if somebody sponsors
something, then there can be less confusion about it and it is more clear
when something "inacceptable" happens.

Anyway, this said, I am not sure how official the relationship between the
Debian conference and Debian is anyway.  I have not even looked at the
lindows registration page to see what people are complaining about.  But I
thought that this difference is worth noting and might explain some of the
heat here.

Thanks,
Marcus

--