On Thu, Oct 16, 2003 at 11:36:04PM +0200, Martin Pitt wrote:
> Please don't get me wrong, I don't insist of using adduser. IMHO
> Mathieu's solution of checking whether adduser is available is
> acceptable, if adduser is not installed then I can't break any admin
> preferences anyway. In addition, user postgres has uid 31, thus
> base-passwd should have given its blessings to postgres :-)

Uid 31 is reserved forever (speaking as the base-passwd maintainer), but
new installations of postgresql should have a uid in the system range,
namely 100-999, as created by 'adduser --system'. See the changelog for
base-passwd 3.5.0.

> Currently, postgres is already using adduser in its preinst, but only
> depends on it (which is kind of "too late"). The question is now,
> should we make it officially pre-depend on it or should I convince
> Oliver to rewrite the stuff to fall back to useradd (BTW: Oliver, do
> you follow this?)

No, you should definitely not attempt to fall back to useradd: that
whole subthread is just a distraction. Pre-depending on adduser is
perfectly fine and reasonable for a package like postgresql, and it is
wrong for a Debian package to try to use anything else other than
adduser to create system users. Using adduser means that we, or local
sysadmins, only have one thing to change if we need to change how system
users work.

Use adduser. It's your friend.

Cheers,

--
Colin Watson                                  [EMAIL PROTECTED]