Clemens Schwaighofer wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I would like to know why sysklog package uses its own logrotation
> scripts and not logrotate.

Try to convert it to logrotate and soon you will understand why it still
uses savelog.

> Because it uses its own scripts, its rather tricky to configure. Eg its
> impossible to have the first rotatet log (syslog.0) to be compressed.
>
> According to the help test in the cron sysklog file there are reasons of
> some possible open file handles.

Until syslog is reloaded, yes.

You are free to modify the scripts.  They are marked as configuration
files and hence future upgrades will honour your modifications.

Regards,

        Joey

--
GNU does not eliminate all the world's problems, only some of them.
                                                -- The GNU Manifesto