On Sat, 28 Jun 1997, Lars Wirzenius wrote:

>Christoph Lameter:
>> This was discussed half a year ago and the webservers were fitted
>> with on the fly decompression for .gz files.
>
>For the umpteenth time, that DOES NOT HELP WHEN THE USER IS READING
>THE FILES DIRECTLY, NOT VIA A WEB SERVER.

Web browsers are small. Dont think instantly of Apache. And keep the calm
please.

I run boa for that purpose on some machines and its really good. I can
read compressed docs without dwww.

>> What dwww does is already not necessary. Changing the content of .html
>> files might lead to problems with web browsers.
>
>dwww doesn't change content.

I did not intend to say that dwww does. The conversion program intends to
though and will cause a mess with the browsers.

>> Not all platforms have a gzip by default available.
>
>Then they lose, unless they go via a web server that uncompresses
>things. It's more important that things work under Debian than
>under, say, OS-9.

So the beginning user with his straight out of the box Win95 looses when
trying to access Debian documentation? Debian has already a name for user
hostileness with dpkg. You want to set up new barriers for newbies?
You want me to run around Campus installing gzip on 300 machines because
those users are not able to? Granted its rare that those guys will read
technical docs but quite a few use pine.

>> Please do not do this. We do not have any problems here and you are about to
>> create some.
>
>We have the rather unpleasant situation that reading documentation
>requires a web server. That's a problem. Fixing it requires changing
>the .html files.

What is so unpleasant about a small webserver being part of the
standard set of packages?