James Troup writes ("Re: master's mail backlog and upgrade time"):
> The change was made roughly less than 24 hours before your first post
> to debian-devel.  There wasn't actually all that much time to contact
> you in.

You (plural) could have _just_ contacted me and I would have fixed it,
as I have now done.  It's not like you don't know how to get hold of
me !  How hard is it to write a short mail ?  `master is having
difficulty talking to chiark; chiark seems to have firewalled master
out.  Please fix it ASAP'.  You would have had it sorted out, with
apology, straight away.

> Err, no you haven't [arranged matters].  In
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> posted
> on Sat, 19 Nov 2005 15:39:36 +0000, you've asked chiark users to
> individually change their config to ensure chiark won't DoS master.
> Until it's confirmed that all those users have done so, it's not fair
> to say master will not have any difficulty talking to chiark.

The problem with chiark becoming upset at master will not recur so
long as a majority of the traffic is to users who have been thus
reconfigured.  This is now the case (and I'm chasing up the few
stragglers).

> And this still relies on per-user config rather than being a global
> change.  Which means the next time a chiark user gets a debian.org
> account but neglects to perform the necessary incantation, master will
> once again be DoSed by chiark.

Doing it this way means that if and when the debian.org hosting
arrangments change (eg, the host that talks to chiark gets a different
reverse DNS name) the configuration will still work and it won't break
again.

It's only old forwarding arrangements that should have the problem -
new chiark users get clear instructions on what to do about mail
forwarding, and I'm sure that new debian.org users do too.

> > I also immediately notified debian-admin of these facts and have not had:
>
> Err, no you didn't.  You mailed debian-devel, and THREE DAYS LATER
> mailed debian-admin.  That is not immediate.

I replied to Ryan directly, in response to his posting to d-d-a.
There was no other contact address given in his announcement.

> >  * Correction of the broken configuration on master
>
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]:~$ grep chiark /etc/exim4/exim4.conf
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]:~$

Oh, thanks.

> And it's been like that for several days.

Oh!  Nice of someone to tell me so that I could watch my logs and
check that all was well.  As it turns out it wasn't because I had
underestimated the number of other users and the volume of their spam
flows.

> Speaking of doing better, could you please actually fix chiark?

I should apologise to you for causing trouble, of course.  So yes, I
am sorry that my system didn't like your system.

> Because it's STILL firewalling master....

As I say, I've chased up some stragglers this morning about their
configuration and now the vast majority of the spam flow is marked so
that chiark likes getting crap, rather than getting annoyed about it.

This seem to be working as far as I can tell from here.

> > This situation is intolerable and must be rectified forthwith.
>
> With all due respect, your attitude is intolerable and should be
> rectified forthwith.

I _am_ sorry to be such a pain about this but escalation seemed to be
the only way to get a response !

Ian.