On Thu, 25 May 2006, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
>         It has come to my attention that Martin Kraff used an
>  unofficial, and easily forge-able, identity device at a large key
[...]

Should you not have *signed* a message of this sort?  I certainly won't do
anything until I know for sure it came from you.  And preferably, we need to
hear Martin's side as well, before doing anything hasty (like either signing
keys, or revoking signatures of keys).

>         Based on this, I strongly suggest that mere signatures on a
>  new maintainers key from a DD be also  not enough, since people have

We need an alternative, then.  Any ideas?

The easy answer are passports, but not everyone has passports with proper
security devices (and I mean this as not everyone lives in a *country* which
issues such passports, so they are effectively impossible to get for these
people).  And we don't teach DDs how to verify those either (which we
should, it is always a good idea to know these things. Any pointers?).

>  now effectively proven how easily signatures may be obtained at a
>  large KSP by just about anyone with money for a easily faked ID.

This has been a question of trusting enough people to not to game the system
since day one, and you know it.  Fortunately, up until now, nobody had tried
to do so... *that we know of*.

  Henrique Holschuh