Package upgrades skipping a stable release are advertised as "not
guaranteed to work", which allows maintainers to drop support for
upgrades from versions earlier than oldstable in their uploads to
unstable.  However I've never heard a requirement that package
versions earlier than the most recent stable release be purged before
installing.

Recall that a package can be in "Config-files" state whenever it has a
postrm script, or it owns conffiles; also, if postrm fails, it is
considered to be still in "Config-files", even though its conffiles
will have been removed from the filesystem and package list.

Example:
U: Install foo-1, which either owns a conffile or has a postrm script
U: Remove (but don't purge) foo
M: Maintainer uploads foo-2
D: Debian releases $stable, which includes foo-2
U: Dist-upgrade to $stable
M: Maintainer uploads foo-3, which drops support for foo-1
U: Dist-upgrade to $testing
U: Install foo-3 from testing, from state "Config-files" of foo-1, but
   foo-3 only handles upgrade from foo-2; something terrible happens.

Does this mean that maintainers should be expected to support the
maintscript "install" "$2" cases for ancient versions, or is there
some other convention of which I remain unaware?

Please Cc me.
Justin