On Wed, Aug 02, 2006 at 05:20:26PM +0300, George Danchev wrote:
> > Actually, I disagree with that.  I always hate having to work with a
> > package that uses a patch management system, because then I have to
> > learn the system before I can do any work on the package.  And there are
> > several systems.  Plus it's not always quick & easy to generate a diff
> > for an NMU out of that.  And the resulting diff isn't necessarily easy
> > to read (being a diff of a diff).
>
> How is that not true if one knows a given patch system and does know about
> your VCS and needs to work on one of your packages. Do they have

They just apt-get source, hack away, and send me a diff.

> debian/patches/ as separate file, how do I know how to update/remove/etc

There would be no debian/patches.

They shouldn't be converting the package to use a patch system.

> them ? How is that different from learning darcs patch system which might
> happend to be new for me. There is also git arch which also pretend to be a
> patch system at heart. Thus the diversity is the same as in different patch
> system / not necessary a bat thing though /.

They can build and use the package just like normal.  Somebody doesn't
have to know how to use my VC in order to work on my package, which is
different from the situation with the patch systems.

-- John