A little while back I tried to setup a system that used a read-only
root filesystem during regular operation and ran into some problems
during boot.  The first is that /etc needs to be read-write but init
scripts break badly if /etc is not on the root filesystem (probably could
be fixed in initramfs-tools).
The second problem I had was that, before udev is ready, /dev needs to
be writable (this was with sarge; maybe initramfs-tools already solves
this).

I will do testing with etch if this is something that should work.

--
GnuPG Key Fingerprint 86 F5 81 A5 D4 2E 1F 1C      http://gnupg.org
And that's my crabbing done for the day.  Got it out of the way early,