Ben, please don't send me copies of messages sent to the list.

"Ben Goodger" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> On 08/08/2007, Ben Finney <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > I strongly disagree. The installation of non-free should *not* be
> > a priority for the Debian project, since this works against the
> > explicit goal to create a *free* operating system.
> >
> > Individual developers can work on non-free to their heart's
> > content, but it should not get any priority from the Debian
> > project.
>
> Oh, for the love of god, not more of this...
>
> If these (read: nvidia/ati) drivers were DFSG-compliant, they'd be
> included by default. Since this is not possible, it should be made
> as easy as possible to install them.

They don't belong in Debian GNU/Linux, because they're not free
software. So, for Debian's priorities, the statement "it should be
made as easy as possible to install [these non-free components]" is in
no way applicable to Debian.

This doesn't in any way stop anyone from working on them; it *does*
mean it's not a priority for the Debian project.

> The free operating system is all very well, but obviously people
> cannot be forced to have freedom

Obviously. Neither can Debian be forced to make installation of
non-free software a priority. That's for someone else to do, if they
choose -- not Debian.

--
 \        "I was in Las Vegas, at the roulette table, having a furious |
  `\         argument over what I considered to be an odd number."  -- |